Pirate Misadventures in the Midwest

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

When in Rome...

The toilet seat stays up: when dogs are bound to use the toilet as a water bowl, there is a guarantee of toilet H20 and slobber spread all over the seat. So there it is -- the seat defaults to up.

The zucchinis, cucumbers, red and green peppers and pickles are girl-pirate fodder only.
The broccolis, spinaches, cabbages, and green beans are communal.
The man-beer and man-sausages are not to be interfered with. The lentil vegetable stew had the addition of Polish kielbasa to make it tolerable for the Y chromosome for dinner. The un-vegan couldn't resist crumbling in the sheep's milk feta imported from somewhere scary.

One of the brewmasters at the Schlafly's Bottleworks (Pumpkin Ale? nom. Blackberry Cider? nom. Fresh from the tap at the Bottleworks? Double nom) actually works in a kilt. I'm going to drop by and ask if it is a Utilikilt. Maybe... maybe it's even a leather Utilikilt. I thought they were a joke from the comic Dykes to Watch Out For. They're not. I've seen D. wear one. Adorable!

I am super-excited about the CERN project particle collider. OMG THE FUTURE IS NOW. I think I may need to receive whatever Science-y Weekly magazine the 2230 used to get. If anyone knows any tasty vaguely read-able by non super science academics (or erm, food chemistry and biology experts completely incapable of jargon) science blogs, I would love some links to add to the blog roll.

St. Louis has a curious selection of import and native vodkas.
From Kansas "Most Wanted" Vodka is most certainly not. It mixes fine when frozen but is not for martini making. Or at least, not the first three martinis.
From Canada "Polar Bear" is rubbing alcohol in a bottle when warm. Maybe I used up all the ice cubes and couldn't get it cold fast enough. So I mixed it with Jumex's Strawberry Nectar (which contains sugar OR high fructose corn syrup, sob!) which made it passable. Polar Bear, thusly, is fine for making girly drinks. I don't doubt it would serve well in a Bloody Mary as well.

Also, careful research reveals that Minute Maid, Old Orchard, and sketchy Schnuck's store brand lemonade, no matter how 100% the juice is all made with a 1st ingredient of high fructose corn syrup. So, fuck that shit. Back to Soulard, to buy my own damn lemons and limes, juice them on the Thrift Shop juicer, and sweeten with agave or honey or at least simple syrup made from turbinado. I want it to taste like citrus, not like ick squick sweet.

Also, the closest dirty hippie food store? Not a Co-op. Also, totally over priced with a miserable bulk food selection and too-pretty cashiers who were not nice/polite at all. Going to go see if the anarchist vegan bakery is hiring later today, they're all of a 5 minute drive from the house. Their staff was polite and cool when I bought a Minnesota-style chocolate oatmeal bar from them at Soulard. I should attempt first to undo the patina of dog fur in which I am coated. They all need bathes. Or hosing. Or maybe I should just chuck them in a pond/lake/the river.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger That redheaded one said…

    do not drink MO vodka ewwww.. That said You know what the cost will be for coming to visit b-town and us.

    Bud Select when it is straight from the brewery (ie that day) isn't bad actually. If you ever need a Modern Medicine doctor BJC is the only place to go but tell me first I will have a suggestion on who to avoid. Wimper you get the good beer wimper straight from the brewery wimper. I'm gonna go pout at the lack of being home now!

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger Kari Stevenson said…

    awwww. You'll get some in October or before!

    Neverfear! Neverfear! Schlafly's, coming to yooooooou.

    Also, all of my cleaning supplies and best cooking utensils? My sis left on my back porch. Thanks sis!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home