Pirate Misadventures in the Midwest

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Theory experiment in tomatillo salsa

I understand the concepts of how salsas are made. The ingredients, even some idea of the ratios. I was under the mistaken impression that a salsa fresca could be made with tomatillos -- after slicing into my first several, that question was resolved.

The looked like faeries' parachutes, littering my counter, their husks peeled up and back to reveal the sticky, glossy fruit. I felt as though I was revealing their secrets.

2-3 pounds of tomatillos, in chunks
1-2 bunches of cilantro
1 onion
6-to-taste cloves of garlic
3 jalapenos, quartered, seeds removed

Saute the onion until translucent, then toss in garlic.
Meanwhile, pulse a batch of the tomatillo chunks until desired consistency -- for first batch I did a chunkier, coarser versions.
Add to the onions/garlic. (Burner heat should be medium)
Pulse the next batch of tomatillos. Toss in the cilantro and the jalapenos. Pulse until much sloppier in consistency.
Add to the pot.

I think this recipe also needs 1-2 chiles as well, it arrived flavorful but mild.

Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, then drop flame to low or lowest (my burner has a "warm" setting). Cook for 2 hours until flavors are blended and you can no longer resist dipping tortilla chips into the cooking pot.

I don't doubt that a more careful, artful recipe could be crafted with internet and book research. However, this is how it made sense to me to assemble the salsa, and if its reception was any indicator, it was right - enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home