Pirate Misadventures in the Midwest

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Piracy Check-Up

Good news: in spite of being a total n00b at this whole "counselor" business, my 1-week and a half review went decently. That and working in an office has taught me a lot about subservience, kissing ass, and good behavior.

"I just want the tools I need to do a great job!"

"If there's a problem with how I'm interacting with the kids I want to know so that I can make active changes before potential problems begin."

"I am concerned that I don't have a staff handbook, even after I asked for one. I'm sure policy has changed since 2005. I would hate to break a rule I don't know exists. Ignorance is no excuse."

bought. sold. priced to the highest bidder. bought. sold.

p.s. If you know someone/business/industry that is vaguely legal and bidding a bit higher, that would be nice. It worked out once that once the math was said and done, counselors made, what, 7c an hour? Admittedly room/board included, but still...

Some mornings it makes me bitter to be an economic chit.

Yesterday I was dressed as a 1940s secretary transferred via punk but then it warmed up (awww, legwarmers...) and I ended up in magic pants (omg great for hot weatherz) (I hear they sell them on the netarwebz?) and an orange shirt, cursing the heat, my weakeness, and our bouleversed schedule.

I managed to tank my immune system by lunch time yesterday, crashed out during sieste, went after dinner to the nurse's, teased them about hippie drugs, swallowed about 10-15 pills, and then proceeded to go to bed at oh, 9h45. Yep. Out like a light. And I cried. I cried because my cabin mate dropped by my bed to ask, "Who do you miss?" (I had mentioned during Bon Chose, Mauvais Chose cabin exercise that I missed a friend.)

I had trouble explaining. It was the nicest thing any one has done for me since I've been here, and after she walked away I burst into awkward tears, facing the wall, balling up the navy-blue comforter so that the campers couldn't here me, incapable of the strength to go hide on the back porch.

My campers even offered up a group apology this afternoon for being so "disrespectful and not listening" etc. -- it was the first day I haven't had the energy to be a SUPER MONO always singing and bouncy and bouncy and singing and -- maybe they thought it was their fault? I don't know where/how/why they thought up that, but they're smart, smart girls. It's an honour to teach them. I know they'll grow up so cool!

In honour of my restored health this morning, it's time to go chainsmoke some sense into this broken heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home