Pirate Misadventures in the Midwest

Monday, July 21, 2008

A Simple Day ...

... was a simple three days. The only simple thing about them was the only constant - the fucking heat. Holy mother of all, I have done that much sweating in years. I wasn't even in armor gadding and rampaging about the field of battle, either.

Simple Day was preceded by a former employer ( 6 summers of camp and language fun ) calling and asking if I was available to work, Friday afternoon at about 3 p.m. EST.

Yes, yes I am. They said, get up here as soon as humanly possible. I said, I get my key at 7 p.m. Sunday night. They said, drive safely, and we'll see you when you get here.

Yes, yes I am in Minneapolis-St. Paul right this minute, in a Caribou Coffee. Four more hours and I will be in Bemidji, hopefully in time for dejeuner.

***

Following my return from Simple Day in the sweltering heat (Awesome brunch with folks -- biscuits and gravy holds the key to my heart, even though Cracker Barrel uses artificial gravy *pouts*.)

I continued to pack. I packed I packed I packed. I took a nap. I wrangled sweet hearted and strong armed peeps to carry. 5 car-loads Sunday night. 15 straight hours of work, beginning at 5 a.m. and continuing to 8 p.m. on Monday.

Then fanciful dressing, martini mixing, dancing my heart out in honour of Lord Lothair's birthday bash at Chapel Perilous. Then, sweet, sweet unconscious sleep. I didn't even hear the hail. The hangover after moving all.day. in the heat, and not eating sufficient dinner foods? Exquisite. Couldn't drive my own car or do basic nargile set-up. It was brilliant agony. I did get 7 or 8 hours of sleep though, which was worth its weight in gold.

I started driving at midnight on Monday. I drove all through the night. At 11 a.m. I arrived in Madison and sat with Walker in post-op at the hospital. Then his friends forcibly made me nap (sweet slumber) and I proceeded onward with driving techno beats to fuel me.

Minneapolis St. Paul was achieved around 10h30 ish and I stayed with a Venetian whose hospitality was much appreciated.

NOW! Onward to Bemidji! It can be achieved, if fate is good. Bless all who have helped me; I will ensure that you are fully repaid in any way or fashion I may.

If I haven't answered your voice mail, returned your call or e-mail or message or comment or text, I STILL LOVE YOU I just have been irreparably busy. Please, mark it URGENT if it is, and send it by e-mail or text. Voice mail is a bad idea; and my phone may not work at all in the northwoods.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Eric said…

    when will you be back in b-town?

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger Kari Stevenson said…

    early September, me thinks.

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger That redheaded one said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Eric said…

    september? :( we'll have to celebrate your return.

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Blogger Kari Stevenson said…

    Certainly. If you have any bright ideas, let me know.

    I just see hookah and martinis on the porch as perfect. You?

     
  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Eric said…

    I don't have any bright ideas as yet; but we've got time to brainstorm. Whenever I go away for awhile (which is, like, never! these days), I like to do the things that make me miss b-town, or things that make me happy to live in b-town. Just a thought.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home