Pirate Misadventures in the Midwest

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Blogroll, of sorts...

I've been a dedicated blog reader since my time in France, specializing in reading all of the archives available to me. The ones that I've stuck to, the ones that I can't but help coming back to again and again tend to be the Web 1.0 bloggers, those who blogged when the internet was small and cozy and kept out the rifraff and the big money. Even now, with the internet a changed 2.0 space that is monetized and full of anonymous angry-e-mail and commenters, they write and they make me laugh, cry and experiment with new foods, ideas and activities.


www.bluishorange.com

Out of Austin/other towns in Texas. Lately I suspect we're channeling the same brain-waves. I fear the apocalypse when someone will kill me for a tank of gas too, on a daily basis. I fight this fear by gardening and fencing; she has some solutions too.

www.littleyellowdifferent.com

Asian, gay, out and on the cutting edge of web-employment, out of the Bay area. What he says is has truth in it you don't see elsewhere on the web

www.dooce.com

Reality and snark about depression and pop culture and her life with Lena, her daughter out of Salt Lake City, by way of CA. She's famous now, but I found her back in 2004 before she was that cool.


www.blog.iblamethepatriarchy.com

Twisty Faster, a spinster aunt eating dinner in Austin -- my favorite feminist primer/awareness creator. She makes me think, even when I disagree. She also makes me angry in a burning, frustrated, angsty fashion.

wwww.mightygirl.net

Maggie Mason is amazing, and her style is impeccable. She writes from SF, and makes me want to live there all the time.


www.foodonthefood.com/

Food on the Food is by Tammy out of the Boston area, and she's a brand-new favorite. I want to be her blog friend and mail her baked goods. Also, I plan on delurking to beg her for a better zucchini cake/bread/muffins recipe

www.buggydoo.blogspot.com

One Good Thing -- She runs a sex-toy store out of her garage in Chicagoland. Posts about feminism and kids and life at Big Machine. I love her realism and her funny way of story-telling.

www.defectiveyeti.com

He snarks thoughtfully about politics, movies and snobby board games. Matthew Baldwin is always a fascinating read.

www.postsecret.blogspot.com

Reading this is a Sunday morning ritual, and my favorite one by far. Those of you who have known me for a long time know of my love affair with snail mail of the post-card variety. Stay tuned, please for the Great Postcard Arts and Crafts Summer of 2008!


http://finslippy.typepad.com

I cried when I read about her miscarriage. It was the first time I left her a comment, 1 of 600-800 comments offering her love and condolences. She writes beautifully about being a mum to her son from NYC.

My secret? Sometimes I tell their stories as the "story of a friend" and I mean it when I say friend. I don't know them in the flesh, but I cheer for them and hope for them and wish them the best of life, love, and the pursuit of happiness. They've made my life a better place by writing about their lives. Thank you, the internet, for bringing amazing people together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home