Pirate Misadventures in the Midwest

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Plotting, planning, the world turns and it all changes again.

So, the post Persia-Market life. I had been planning on spending the better part of a year at that job; I liked it, it suited me. It made me think about going back to school as a botanist or a naturopath or a homeopath. It invested me with a desire to help people heal themselves through good food and wholesome green growing things. It connected me to like-minded people who believed that there are other paths to health than through the medico-pharma-complex. I don't want to lose that; I want to actively read and learn and grow and make my own decoctions and have a four-seasons herb garden to cultivate and love as a path to tastier food and healthier lifestyle.

This leads me to think seriously about that GRE grad-school application business; if I start working now, I could be going to school next-next fall. [Fall 2008] and by then I think I'll be ready to be a student again; if nothing else so that I can perhaps qualify for more highly paid work post-Masters. I'd still be looking at combining politics, developing worlds, women's/gender studies, and French into some thesis.

I could also or perhaps concurrently [with the applications process] take coursework for a teacher's certificate or a translator's certificate. Both require an amount of work that wouldn't be too prohibitive on top of a 40 to 50 hour workweek with the weekends off. My rent and utilities will both be substantially less, and I won't have endless health-care-bills to pay off or an allergist to do homage to or pharmaceuticals to purchase to the tune of $150 a month.

I just need to make my brainpower more expensive to hire; I'd like to make more than 6 or 7 or 4 plus tips dollars per hour. Hell, $10/hour would be... so lovely! I'd also like to work for an employer where innovation and new ideas and hard work are actually valued, as opposed to despised. It's hard to work to the tune of my Protestant work ethic and have that be derided, as it is as much in my bloodstream as leftist politics or organic foods.

For the time being though, it is life as a career-barista and a philosopher-writer-waitress; not such a horrible thing, moreso the problem that it is disappointing to my family and doesn't include health insurance. They'll just have to settle for being disappointed and dream of the day I have health insurance and a 401k. I was looking forward to talking about Persia-Market work over the holidays though, to be able to actively join in these adult discussions of work place politics and bosses and more efficient ways to do x or y or z. Now I'm back to analyzing tactics to achieve good cappuccino foam with my mother. It's hard to be a grown up but not where my family is involved; pour me another martini, Uncle Terry, because Christmas is better with them than without.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home