Pirate Misadventures in the Midwest

Saturday, July 28, 2007

I was planning on some feminist blogging...

... instead I spent the time reading about Millenials and Gen Y and Gen X and Gen NEXT and how they lack the tools necessary to integrate into the workplace. Crippled by the "Cinderella Syndrome" and an environment rich in praise, encouragement, and blatant bribery, the workplace is often the exact opposite of what one has been told.

I experienced this in in the microcosm of Persia Market, and upon greater reflection, when I worked as a tour guide and English instructor for the two Turkish men about a year ago, and further into the past, at CLV. In all three cases though, the added excitement and communication woes stemmed from not just intra-generational struggles but also international minds conflicts. Whether one is working for Turks, Iranians, or Europeans of all stripes, there are major points of dispute that are only exacerbated by being young and inexperienced.

What has caused trouble for me in the past is that I will tolerate a frustrating situation and its many slights and fight to communicate effectively for only so long. Then, like the proverbial donkey's back, I snap. This snap often includes me at my worst, argumentative, speaking in what is considered an "angry" tone of voice, and a refusal to deny that my concerns or ideas are important.

What works at jobs such as the coffeeshop has been my ability to effectively communicate with my managers, and also the fact that they are receptive to my ideas and suggestions and often ask for them. At my food service and service industry jobs I found people interested in my perspective and ideas for improvements and changes. That is exactly what I want professionally, and I cringe at the thought that it is hard to find within a standard job environment.

Admittedly, I do have the most experience when it comes to service industry jobs, therefore my opinions have a greater relevancy. When teaching English and traveling though, [both things at which I might have a bit of experience] I was surprised to find myself countermanded ["You can say do sports" "No, actually, as a native English speaker, I can assure you that one plays sports"], as well as insulted.

I'm considered a bright cookie, and have been told so by peers, family, friends and employers in the past. I have a lot to learn, but that is okay. I think anyone in his or her twenties has a lot to learn yet and anyone who thinks otherwise has a weak grasp of reality.

Persia Market was the worst experience becuase even to the outsider it is spledidly mismanaged, and to have my ideas of ways to help customers help themselves and even the concept of inventories entirely shunned was frustrating. I hate to see something limping along brokenly when with just a small amount of effort, it can glide effortlessly along. It is actively painful to me to see a job half-done, work done that is far below par, or sheer laziness compromising the final result.

That was the situation when I quit my first job ever, when I was assistant cooking for CLV. I had been trained within the organization for five years; I knew the ropes and how to handle all sorts of situations. It was terribly frustrating to see a poor product being served, and to not have the authority necessary to improve any of the problems. Laziness and lack of effort was rampant, which tripled my workload.

I was told I "handled stress poorly" and that was the root of the problem. Not the lack of effort of other employees, not mismanagement from the top, not the failures in ordering and planning that were wreaking havoc throughout the kitchen. No, the problem was rooted in me. I was relieved when, after my departure, the entire place fell to pieces to such an extent that even the most oblivious counselors and staff members noticed that there was a serious problem.

Regrettably, that one outburst, that immediate departure [in spite of work two separate years afterword without any major or minor incident] has forever ended my possibilities with a CLV career. My file is red-flagged and I've lost the trust of the people in charge of hiring. The woman who mismanaged the kitchen into the ground has been promoted multiple times and reportedly still does the same amount of nothing. Her failings enabled her to continue to move upward, which flabbergasts me whenever I think about it.

I work hard to understand multiple perspectives, but a worldview wherein mediocre is okay and effort is considered nonessential is something that I don't tolerate well or at all. I would love to find a workplace where my work ethic and abilities are appreciated [one with more upward mobility than head barista, that is]. My current boss told me when I was job hunting that I didn't have "a lazy bone in [my] body" which I appreciated, also the fact that he offered to mention this in any referrals.

I don't understand how apathy and "good enough" function, but it is apparent that most of the world runs well like that. I have such a low tolerance for that kind of behavior and attitude that I'll need to look harder for a workplace that suits who and what I am, so that I don't have as much difficulty integrating.

I honestly believe that there are jobs out there that are looking for someone just like me, with my unique skill set and drive. I'll tuck that belief into my pocket and work towards it. That will have to suffice for now.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger hernan said…

    well lady... I think exactly the same as you... after 9 months of job hunting as you said people adviced me to cut off some things of my cv... like the MsC... I reject it...

    So... I saw that the best option was to do my own company... build it from zero... no one will value your skills and your way to do things than your self...

    A friend told me a couple of days before that some times you have to move forward in time, like 20 years, and start doing the hell I'm starting...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home