Pirate Misadventures in the Midwest

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Tiny monsters with claws.

I'm begininng to get a bit of a reputation as a cat-lady. This is not surprising, since books and cats are [almost] all I talk about once I finish talking about food and naturopathic medicine these days. My two kitties, Olivia and Orsino [extensively documented on flickr: sir_oliver_skitten as well as horsepj] were perfectly content to be a two cat family.

Then Mark rang. His office found a litter of 4-week old abandonded kittens, starving, no mother, and who does he call? Me. I call him back and offer to take one, he brings it in from Greene County in a computer paper box with airholes cut into the lid. Mewling the whole way.

Noisy squeaking disaster; so small there was a freakout run to Kroger after 10pm in a desperate attempt to find catmilk and soft foods. The kitten proceeded to crawl through the milk-full saucer. She wasn't even really able to walk well, though she was stubborn and insistent and full of nuzzlings.

By day two [post frantic calls to the shelter and the vet, who were both full of useful advice for me, in full freakout mode: but gods! she's so damn small! can I give her a bath! but she has fleas! why is she sneezing? what can she eat! oh dear!] kitten was suckling a bottle, snuggling, insisting on sleeping on the bed on top of me and not in a box, and had a decided preference for fuzzy pajamas.

By day three she'd figured out the mechanics of litter boxes and was better about the whole milk.saucer. business. She even started washing little paws and noses and bellies, good kitten! Now fully capable of power-scooting all over the house, she follows and is insistent. Hold me! she miaows, about 90% of the time. I've become quite talented at doing anything domestic one-handed, the other cupping her next to my heart.

I think I'm in love. Mirabelle is her name, tortishell [mostly grey, some orange and white] is her color, and fluffy cuddly snuggly with limpid blue eyes are her meal-ticket-qualities. My grown up cats are still not thouroughly thrilled. Orsino is hiding out in greener pastures down the block. Olivia is hissing and glaring. I had hoped for adoption and loving and snuggling, but there will be time. Right now they're just all, "Why the *motherfatherchinesedentist* is she so damn loud!"

horsepj has some great shots up on flickr. She fell asleep on his chucks last night. Oh! the cuteness! She fits in one hand. Falls asleep cupped in two. Likes to nap right next to necks. Powersnuggles like a master.

Oh. the kitties. but now! no more! 3 is enough!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger hernan said…

    orsino??? wasn't sir almadeus???
    Mirabelle is a really cute name!!!! She got a great mother with you!!!
    I checked the photo and all your kitty adventures ...I remembered my kitties in France...
    Wait for the moment when she learns to climp on your pants... and you will learn to walk while carrying Mirabelle pasted to you!!!

    I think I heard you once telling one was "enough"... then 2 was enough... now 3 is enough... for me 5 was enough... cat-lady!!!(hmmmm...I imagined you dressed like catwoman...sexy...)

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Blogger Kari Stevenson said…

    I wore whiskers to a themed pimps n' hos party; along with pirate garb and very little of it.

    I was entertained; everyone else, confused.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home