Pirate Misadventures in the Midwest

Friday, August 11, 2006

Bloomingtonian Walking, I Miss You!

Tourism, in many cases, involves walking. Walking through museums, walking up the stairs to the tops of monuments, walking down scenic paths or through historic or architectually fascinating districts. I'm not even entirely sure how tourism without walking goes, unless it involves laying in chaise lounges next to pools and only walking 20 feet to a hotel room or 6 feet to the pool. I'm receiving a good primer though; anytime I suggest walking in relation to any activity, one of my employers says, "Can't we drive instead?" I'm not referring to 40-minute uphill hikes, I'm rather referring to short pretty strolls not lasting longer than 20 minutes.

Stairs in Trinidad on the California Coast to walk along the scenic Indian Beach?
Done, but with much complaining.
A promenade through the Victorian seaside district in Eureka?
No.
The downtown of Ashland, Oregon?
No.
A short hike through any part of the redwood forests surrounding 101?
No.
Getting out of the car for more than five minutes in Oregon along the 101 to enjoy the fresh air off of the ocean?
No.
I wonder how they managed downtown San Francisco, where they surely could not drive everywhere. Hell, these are even guys that claim to enjoy hiking and rafting among other outdoorsy activities. My legs feel frozen into 90-degree angles from sitting in the car for hours without any breaks to stretch, and then proceeding directly into restaurants. Often, with a five-minute moment after four hours in the car, they'll offer me a seat on a park bench or the like, which I politely refuse. My muscles are beginning to atrophy.
Their vacation though; they're entitled to do exactly as they please, regardless of how ridiculous and/or wasteful and/or corner-cutting it may seem.
[But to stop at Dairy Queen for a coffee?! Come on...]

5 Comments:

  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger LexBrett said…

    Back on August 4th, elsewhere on the web, you wrote, "I hope that these adventures and linquistical lessons will be good blog fodder. Cheers to travel and language!"

    Cheers to the blog fodder! But hey, have you shot any spectacular photos of the west coast that you can share here? Ain't nothing like using travel photos as blog fodder.

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger LexBrett said…

    Hey, thanks for both the postcards you sent me recently, "Toronto" and "Plummeting Elevator." I love opening my mailbox and seeing items from you.

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Blogger LexBrett said…

    It's November 12th now; do you think you'll ever return to blogging? "Bloomingtonian Blogging, I Miss You!"

     
  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger hernan said…

    Are you planning to come back to blogging??? hehehhee

    I miss the pirates and the middle east politics....

    ciao bella

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger hernan said…

    check this out:
    http://rebellenation.blogspot.com

    you will like it

     

Post a Comment

<< Home